Monday, January 16, 2012

Video Games, Pt. II


Christmas, 2006. The months of waiting were over for me, I finally had an Xbox 360. The first game I experienced on it was Call of Duty 2. For me and millions of other Xbox fans, Call of Duty 2 is the Zeus of video games. From it, all other 360 shooters descended. Part of Call of Duty 2’s campaign took place in Normandy, France. I used to take family vacations to Normandy and playing Call of Duty 2 was just like being back in Normandy. The maps in the game were modeled after the towns in France. After a half-century nothing much had really changed in the French towns and villages. The only real difference was the buildings in the game lacked the bullet holes that the towns in France are covered in. After Call of Duty 2 came Rainbow Six: Vegas and Call of Duty 3.
While I was busy with my new Xbox 360, I kept hearing more and more talk about something called Xbox Live. All I knew about it was that it was the best thing ever created: a multiplayer system connected to the internet that allowed anyone to play with everyone. I got Xbox Live February 10, 2007 and I’ve been wrecking fools as tuckar (online name) ever since. The first games I played online were Rainbow Six: Vegas and Call of Duty 3. They solidified my love affair with online first person shooters. With Xbox Live I was smashing on fools and talking mad ish to anybody else with a headset. After the summer of 2007 Halo 3 and Gears of War came out.
Neither Halo 3 of Gears of War had much appeal to me; I played them simply to pass the time until Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. Out of all the games I’ve played, COD4 was hands-down my favorite. It was so new and unreal, it was the first Call of Duty to give the player a customizable profile, but it had only scratched the surface of what Xbox live would become. After COD4 came so many new and awesome games it would be pointless to list them all, but if there is one game that stands by itself its Fallout 3. I can’t even begin to explain that game right now. I’ll talk about it in part three.

No comments:

Post a Comment